Become a Licensed Child Care Provider

Whether you are currently caring for children, or thinking about caring for children in the future it is imperative that you apply for a license. Licensing, ensures that all young children are provided with safe and secure facilities and set the baseline for what has to legally be provided while serving young children. There are three kinds of child care programs that need licenses:

  • Child development centers;
  • Child development homes, also called family child care homes, which care for up to six children in the provider’s home; and
  • Expanded child development homes, which care for between six to 12 children.

Almost all child care programs in the District of Columbia must be licensed. There are some exemptions – Here is a list of programs that do not need a license.)

Visit OSSE Division of Early Learning’s licensing page to learn more.